These are the perfect fit-in-your-hand menu item for a party when you need some substantial food but don’t want to bother with plates and cutlery. The pulled pork and caramelised onions can be cooked a few days in advanced if required.
Makes approximately 20 individual rolls.
1 Quantity of Pulled Pork made according to this recipe
1/2 Cup Hoi Sin Sauce
5 Large Yellow Onions, sliced into rings
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1 purple cabbage, shredded
1/2 Cup Japanese Mayonnaise (Or Whole Egg Mayonnaise would also work)
3 Tablespoons White Vinegar
1 Teaspoon Caster Sugar
20 ‘Bake At Home’ Bread Rolls
1. Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
2. To make caramelised onions, place onions in a heavy bottomed saucepan with oil over medium heat until they have softened.
3. Reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes stirring frequently, until onions have collapsed and are brown and begin to caramelise. Stir through brown sugar.
4. Continue to cook over a low heat for another 20 minutes, only stirring every few minutes.
5. Once ready, remove from heat.
6. Place shredded cabbage in a large bowl. In a small jar, combine dressing ingredients and shake well to combine. Pour over cabbage and mix until coated.
7. Heat pulled pork in a large fry pan. Stir through Hoi Sin sauce.
8. Assemble the bread rolls. Cut a small triangle wedge in the top of each bun. Start with a thin layer of the caramelised onion. Top with a generous amount of the pulled pork. Arrange buns on a baking tray and bake in the oven until the bread rolls are golden and the tips of the shredded pork are slightly charred.
9. Remove from the oven, top each bread roll with some coleslaw and serve.